R22 phase out: useful information to help you plan for the future
Artel in London can help you replace your existing R22 system at a competitive price. Contact us for R22 system replacement.
What is R22?
It is the refrigerant gas found in the majority of air conditioning equipment over 10 years old, a hydrochlorofluorocarbon (HCFC) which can potentially cause ozone depletion if leaked into the atmosphere. In 2003, R22 was banned from use in newly manufactured air conditioning systems.
R22 has been banned from use since January 2015. What are your options now?
1. Switch to using clean ‘drop-in’ refrigerants
These alternative gases are similar to R22 however they are less harmful with zero ozone depletion potential. They are legal to use in air conditioning systems under EC regulations.
- Minimal initial capital outlay
- Minimal disruption in short term
- Manufacturers do not endorse the use of ‘drop in’ refrigerants
- Performance of ‘Drop in’ gases is untested and there is no evidence to support their reliability
- Availability of spare parts for R22 systems is decreasing
- Running costs of R22 systems are significantly higher than new systems
- Energy usage and impact on the environment of R22 systems is far greater than modern alternatives
2. Replace the whole system – including pipework
– Modern systems are much more efficient
– They are designed to use significantly less energy which reduces running costs
– Impact on the environment is greatly reduced
– New units come with the benefit of a warranty period
– High initial capital outlay
– Significant short term disruption
3. Replace only the indoor and outdoor units leaving existing wiring and pipework in place
- Improves efficiency and performance
- Increases reliability
- Reduces running costs
- Lower capital outlay than replacing the whole system including pipework
- Faster and less disruptive than replacing the whole system
- Reduces waste by taking advantage of the infrastructure already in place
- Reduces CO2 emissions
This option is not always possible and some systems will need to be completely replaced
- Initial capital outlay
- Short-term disruption
We can help you to cost-effectively plan R22 system replacement. Our experts will take all factors into consideration to advise you on your best course of action. What are you going to do?